Chemical companies have led us down a merry path.
You really don’t need to pour caustic chemicals down the drain to get the job done. All you need is vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, and/or borax. It’s cheaper, safer for the environment and safer for you and your children.
Below are 5 different natural recipes to clean your potty:
- Pour white vinegar into the toilet and let it sit for 30 minutes. Next sprinkle baking soda on a toilet-bowl brush and scour any remaining stained areas. Flush.
- Pour 1/2 box of baking soda into the toilet bowl.
- Let the baking soda stand overnight in the bowl. Try to do this the last thing before bed so you don’t accidentally flush the toilet before the baking soda has a chance to work.
- Flush the toilet several times in the morning.
- Run a brush around the bowl to fully remove any loosened grime.
Vinegar and Baking Soda
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- Pour the vinegar into the toilet bowl.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Return to the toilet, grab your toilet brush and dip it into the toilet.
- Take it out, and sprinkle some baking soda onto the brush.
- Scour the inside of the toilet with the brush repeating the sprinkle procedure until the baking soda is gone…..voila! Clean Toilet!
Borax and Lemon Juice
- Pour 1 cup of Borax into a small bowl.
- Pour 1/2 cup of lemon juice over the Borax and gently stir with a spoon into a paste.
- Flush the toilet to wet the sides, then rub the paste onto the toilet with a sponge.
- Let it sit for 2 hours before scrubbing thoroughly. This is great for removing a stubborn stain, like a toilet bowl ring.
Borax and Vinegar
- Flush the toilet to wet the sides of the bowl.
- Sprinkle a cup of Borax around the rim and sides of toilet.
- Spray 1/2 cup of vinegar over the Borax.
- Allow to sit for several hours or overnight.
- Scrub thoroughly with a toilet brush until the bowl gleams.
Sometimes, hard water just leaves a stubborn ring that no amount of scrubbing or rubbing can eliminate. That’s when I grab a pumice stone and rub lightly on the stain.